Friday 23 September 2011

Light and Shadow- Indigo Hill Arches

Indigo Hill Arches
48 x 36 cm

Two black and white images  of  'Hill Arches' sculpture by Henry Moore combined in  Photoshop, printed on hand dyed indigo cotton and silk treated with 'BubbleJet Set'.  Machine quilted with variagated threads, hand stitched with 'House of Embroidery' Cotton perle thread .  

There's nothing like a deadline to concentrate the mind! When the theme of 'Light and Shadow was set in the 'International Quilt Challenge' I had lots of grandious ideas of continuing  the idea of the 'Taplow Vase' in looking at some pewter vases from multiple viewpoints and on  large scale. Then with reveal date looming and nothing started I remembered a  top I'd put together for a demonstration on inkjet printing using 'poster printing' function to split an image over 4 A4 sheets ( I subsequently used that technique to print 16 sheets of organza for my  'Rich as Honesty' quilt)  
After I'd machine quilted it, it was looking rather drab and uninteresting so I decided to stitch more into by hand. I haven't done much hand stitching in a while and I'd forgotten how addictive it is , sewing away watching BBC4.  My wrist is a bit sore despite using a 'Creative Comfort' Crafters Glove for support (although that could be the use of secateurs on Sunday on a serious hack of the garden)
The Henry Moore sculpture that so inspired me was part of an exhibition at Kew Gardens in 2007. I loved having access to these sculptures for so many months, able to view them in different lights and viewpoints and  I made several journal quilts exploring ways of  intepreting  a 3D piece in 2D textiles.
Next year there will be a major exhibition at Kew of work by David Nash.  Can't wait!!



It's been a while but I've had a session updating my website with  a gallery of new work - do stop by and say hello!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love your quilt! The colour and the moven=ment are just perfect!

So inspirational.

hugz

Unknown said...

Mags this looks amazing, you describe this as play... I am in awe.

Carol said...

I love your interpretation of the sculpture. I've done a blog feature about the group. I was not able to find an e-mail link to ask permission to use your photo. Are you okay with me doing that? I will remove it if your not.
http://ascotintennessee.blogspot.com

Lorie McCown said...

I love it too! very very cool. And I love the HM sculpture. Great colors and movement in your piece.